Saturday 27 December 2014

Anthony’s Favourites 2014:part 2

My take on Porth Nanven

Having posted my aviation favourites inPart 1, here is an idiosyncratic collection of more general interest.

As Martin mentioned in his favourites post, it is always interesting and revealing to look back at the photographs from the past year. I've chosen a selection from those that I flagged in Lightroom as finished picks (I use the flag icon to indicate those that are photos I've picked to be OK and have finished processing): some of these I've blogged previously, or posted on Flickr, but by no means all. These are purely personal favourites: I've picked quite a few of the ones further down the page simply because they evoke for me feelings of warmer days as I sit writing on a grey and chilly day at the end of December.

Seaweed and stones, evening light, Porth Nanven beach, Cornwall

I spent some time in France this year, in Normandy and Picardie
Les Roches de Ham, Normandy: looking down over the Vire river from summit of les Roches de Ham, just south of Saint Lo. This is a picture that needs to be looked at large: it is a very beautiful place, and the picture reminds me of warm spring air, with swallowtail butterflies flittering nearby.

 The next three are from St Valery-sur-Somme.
 Joggers, St Valery, iPhone picture

Sunset at St Valery. iPhone picture processed in Lightroom.

Dawn over the Somme  

Back in England:
Autumn rush, Challock. Yes - it is straight out of the camera :-)

I certainly can't (and don't try!) to compete with Martin for wildlife or plant pictures, but here are a few that I liked, and that remind me of warmer, sunnier days.

 Skylark, Elmley

 Lapwing chick, Elmley: fluff and mud!

 
Juvenile Marsh Harriers at play, Elmley

Common spotted orchid, Bonsai bank, focus stacked with Helicon focus. From an evening shoot with Martin.

On the street: Shoreditch
 Looking in four ways

Too cool for school

 Matching

 Stalked

A quiet break on a hot afternoon. I just liked the shapes, colours, light, and partcularly the hot afternoon feel (and it really was a very hot afternoon in July).

To finish: various people who are playing characters
Maleficent at Comic Con, London, in October


Into the desert: Long Range Desert Group re-enactor, Headcorn Combined Ops, August


Seven Dials Rapscallion, December. Re-interpreted from one of the pictures in my Rochester Dickens Festival post.

I hope you can tell that I've had a wonderful time in 2014 getting out and about to make pictures.

Just a couple of final points. The iPhone is great to have in my pocket the whole time: I've only posted two here (from St Valery), but I find the the 645Pro app yields 12bit Tiffs that process beautifully in Lightroom. I use it much more than you might think from this selection: memo to self for 2015 - make more of my iPhone pictures. As for the DSLR thing - well, the D700 still works fine, despite the temptation of the D810

Anyhow, Happy New Year for 2015!
 

 



2 comments:

  1. A great set and Leanne will love your "Autumn Rush" from Challock.

    ReplyDelete